Sellers Terms and Conditions
Selling Fees and Payments
COMMISSION is charged at 15% on the hammer price. There is a minimum charge of £5 per lot whether sold, unsold or withdrawn. Withdrawn lots may also be subject to administration costs which have been incurred by the Auctioneers.
LOSS & DAMAGE WARRANTY is charged at 1.5% of the value of the goods sold (minimum charge £1.50 per lot). Gardiner Houlgate will hold all goods insured unless otherwise instructed (see paragraph 5).
REMOVALS can be arranged on your behalf and are charged at cost.
PHOTOGRAPHY All lots are subject to an Internet Illustration charge of £2.50. Catalogue illustration charges will be agreed in advance, if applicable. (See paragraph 6).
The above charges are subject to Value Added Tax
RESERVES All goods are put up for sale WITHOUT RESERVE at the discretion of the Auctioneer, unless written instructions are received prior to the sale. Vendors may place a reserve on any item (minimum £80). Gardiner Houlgate retain the right to refuse to offer for sale any item where, in their opinion, the reserve price is too high and the item would not sell.
PAYMENT Settlement is normally made within three weeks after the sale (see paragraph 8).
1. The Auctioneers require a signed statement from all Vendors to the effect that the goods submitted are their own unencumbered property or that they have authority to dispose of them on behalf of the true owner and are able to transfer good and marketable title to the property free from any third party claims.
2. Anti-Money Laundering Policy (AML) – All clients transacting business with us must provide relevant documentation in order to prove their identity and place of residence prior to goods being submitted for sale.
For clients offering consignments in excess of £10,000 and above, a copy of the documents presented will be taken and retained for AML purposes only.
3. The Vendor authorises Gardiner Houlgate to deduct commission at the ‘standard rates’ and by signing the entry form the Vendor is deemed to have accepted the terms and conditions of business.
4. The Vendor has a duty to disclose all defects, restorations or alterations to the goods (if any) at the time they are entered for sale and to draw them to the Auctioneers attention in writing. Failure to do so, notwithstanding any description of the goods given by the Auctioneers, can result in the sale being rescinded and the Vendor being responsible for all allied costs incurred by the Buyer and Auctioneer.
5. Electrical and mechanical goods. The Vendor warrants in respect of any item or mechanical or electrical equipment that it is (a) in working order; (b) reasonably fit for the purpose for which it is designed or adapted; (c) that it can be used safely and without risk of causing injury or damage, and (d) will indemnify Gardiner Houlgate against any loss or damage suffered in consequence of any breach of the above warranty and undertaking.
6. Loss & Damage Warranty. Unless otherwise instructed Gardiner Houlgate will insure property (other than motor vehicles) consigned to it or put under its control for sale at the rates stated above. If the Vendor instructs not to insure a lot, it shall at all times remain at the risk of the Vendor who hereby undertakes to indemnify Gardiner Houlgate against all claims made or proceedings brought in respect of loss or damage to the lot of whatever nature howsoever occurring and in any circumstances even where negligence is alleged or proven.
7. The Vendor gives Gardiner Houlgate full and absolute right to photograph and illustrate any lot placed in their hands for sale and to use such photographs and illustrations at any time at their absolute discretion (whether or not in connection with the auction).
8. Value Added Tax. Vendors selling any assets of their business through Gardiner Houlgate must disclose at the time the item is submitted for sale whether they are registered for VAT and must disclose the VAT registration number and whether the items are to be sold under the special scheme covering works of art, etc. Commission charges will be shown inclusive of VAT, which will not normally be recoverable by the Vendor.
9. Settlement is normally made within three weeks after the sale. The Auctioneers state that they act as agents only and do not accept responsibility for a defaulting purchaser and will not be liable for payment to the vendor for any lot or lots until they have themselves received payment. The Auctioneers reserve the right to retain any interest accrued on cleared net monies held to the order of the vendor.
Conditions of business are published in the sale catalogue and your attention is drawn to them.
* Gardiner Houlgate is a trading name of Bath Auction Rooms Limited, registered in England and Wales No. 5228635.